Protective Behaviours Program
"All children have the right to feel safe and secure."
Reflecting this belief, our Protective Behaviours Program is implemented throughout our entire Centre in all of our interactions with the children. The children are also educated in Protective Behaviours strategies. This is carried out in small groups of children with a trained staff member. The main strategies and principles used in our Protective Behaviours Program are:
1. Everybody has the right to feel safe all of the time.
2. Nothing is so awful that you can't talk with someone about it.
3. We encourage assertion, self protection and empowerment throughout the centre at all times.
4. We encourage pro-active problem solving behaviour.
5. We facilitate children to feel comfortable to verbalise their ideas, feelings and emotions.
6. We help each child to identify their own early warning signs to alert them to when they are in danger.
7. We identify with each child their network of trusted helping adults to whom they can turn when they are not feeling safe.
8. We help children to understand that they should respect everyone's right to personal space.
All staff must read and become familiar with the program outlined in the
‘Safe Start, Safe Future’ book compiled by Sue McGrath and Sue Gordon and are expected to attend and keep up to date with inservices offered on Child Protection.
Staff also use the CD Rom developed by Bravehearts Incorporated, called “Ditto’s Keep Safe Adventure”.